Saturday, October 1, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games (The hunger games trilogy, book #1) by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
 Description from www.Goodreads.com
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

You can purchase the book from: The Book Depository.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My thoughts (I tried not to include any spoilers, I really did, but it's stronger that me and I have to let it all out...)

I am absolutely in love with the book. The storyline is amazing. Is heath-breaking and the whole time I felt bad for what the characters in the series have to go trough every year, but at the end I was so proud of them. The constant remainder, that they could easily die without someone being there to stop it, is not stopping them from their everyday life. You can't even imagine how bad it is.

The hunger games are basically the leash that the Capitol has on everyone. The way they show them who's in control. It is awful how innocent children die for the fun of the rich people that live in the Capitol!

The story is about a "normal" girl from the District 12. But not really...She's stronger, she's a fighter and a hunter which gives her a great advantage when she take's her sister's place in the game.

She has awesome archery skills so as long as she finds her weapon she has a chance.

All the tribute has to do is to survive. It sounds simple isn't it... if only! Katniss is in constant danger of the other twenty-three tributes that are trying to kill her and the game-makers that love to pull out stunts whenever the game gets too boring for them and the audience.

The games are all about survival and Katniss has been doing that ever since her that passed away but even as skilled hunter and archer she has her difficulties.

A series of event's make her numb enough not to cake about who she kills, a losing her partner gives her strength to keep going, to keep fighting till the end.

Almost at the end she was given hope that she might make it out of this with the other tribute from her District, the lovely Peeta who at the beginning of the games told to the whole world to hear that he is in love with her.

Ok I'm gonna stop telling you what happens in the book now, but you should know that the book deserves everyone's attention and I can guarantee you that you will love it as much as I do now.

Even before I started reading I knew, from the great amount of good reviews for the books, that I will like it but it's more than that right now. The second I finished the first book there was this urge for more and I reached out to my nightstand and I start reading the next.

It's funny how a book can keep you awake in the middle of the night after a long day. That's what I loved most about this book, the fact that no matter how busy I was I just had to have a little time to spend with this amazing, strong, beautiful characters that fight for their live every second of every day. I needed to visit Katniss world even just for a while...

I hope I don't spoil it for you more than I already have so that's it for this one. I'll come back and tell you what I thought of the second book in a day or two...







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment