Sunday, October 9, 2011

Review: Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear JohnDear John by Nicholas Sparks
Goodreads summary:
An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who has captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love—and face the hardest decision of his life.

You can purchase the book from: The Book Depository.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My thoughts and ramblings about the book( no spoilers...or at least i tried...)
The last couple of days I've been reading this book. I had it on my night stand from the beginning of summer but it wasn't until now that I looked at it and start reading. One night it was on the top of pile of books there, sitting and I felt like it was watching at me so I picked it up and I started reading. When I finally put it down it was already midnight so I called it a day but long after I stopped reading I was thinking about it. It is a beautiful book. Something real. Something that touched my heart and since I started it I was feeling everything John was. It was painful, too, but so, so beautiful.

It's a great story about a boy who meets a girl and they fall in love... it sounds lame and boring, right. Well it wasn't. It's not your ordinary story with a perfectly happy ending.

There was pain, there was sorrow, there was regret and there was suffering.

It follows the life of a soldier, a soldier that never thought that came home for two week on vacation. He though that he was going to see his dad, to go surfing and have some fun... never did he think that he'll fall in love with a sweet, beautiful college student.

I wont tell you all that happens. I'm sure most of you have already read the book and you love it as much as I did.

I wish it had the happy ending the movie did but I liked it anyway. I'm a sucker for happy endings and what John had just broke my hear because he really deserved it. I wasn't his fault that his life choices made some decisions for him.

I still start crying for all that happened in the book even though he cried only once.

What was more moving is that this can actually happen to someone real. That people that love each other can be kept apart just because it wasn't meant to be.

At the end I am sad but I am also happy, if that makes any sense...

The book is a must read for all the hopeless romantics out there but be aware that you might get your heart broken...


I (re)watched the movie right after I finished the book and I was comparing them all the time and even thought I liked it I was a bit disappointed of how different it was. There were parts that were totally made up and some of them were good like the ending but some not so much. If you want to enjoy the movie watch it first and then read the book. They are to different so it'll still be interesting to read the book!



View all my reviews

That is all from me for now...

Marti

2 comments:

  1. I'm a hopeless romantic too... I love Nicholas Sparks. I was a little disappointed in the movie, books are always better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still finding out what I love to read the most but I'm already planning on reading all of Nicholas Sparks's books.

    ReplyDelete