Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1) by Lia Habel

Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1)Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Goodreads summary:
Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?  ...

for the full description click here.

You can purchase the book from: The Book Depository.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My thoughts

Before I start my review I want to tell you that I don't like zombies. At least not the ones that are occasionally after you to eat you alive... I get scared from zombie movies and I don't watch or read about them.



This book was an exception because I read the description and it wasn't so scary plus I really liked the cover...First time I saw it I just stared at it. The cover is gorgeous..so, so beautiful. I choose to win this book and I started it almost immediately after I received it.


It was an amazing, compelling love story combined with sane zombies, crazy zombies and super strange new technologies that just pull you in their world and don't release their hold of you until you're finished!

I loved it!

I give it four stars because there were some flaws but I am already counting the days 'till the next book in the series comes out.

there might be slight spoilers from now on(not something big but I might have slipped a few times with some detail...)


First thing that I didn't like was all the different characters and settings there were in the book. There are so many P.O.V. that it's confusing at times if you've forgotten a name of a character and you need to read a little to remember who this person/zombie was...


And the other thing is that the beginning was a little slow. Not boring slow, just not in the pace I would have liked it to be. Not in the pace it was in the end.


Other than those two things, the book was amazing.

The characters and the setting took some getting used too, because it's a new world and the people are acting different, and things that might have bugged me if happen now in our world are actually normal stuff and behavior for their world...


It is an entirely different world, that Lia Habel has created. The technologies are improved, the way people live is strange and this is all a post apocalyptic future.

It's impressive!


And then there are the zombies, Company Z, the Laz... so many detail about how this disease was created and how it was spread. It's interesting and compelling. I really didn't want it to end.


The characters are complex and well build. Strength wise, that is... some of them are zombies after all and what is a zombie without a missing eye or a leg, or even a head separated from the body(oh you'll see...).


I liked the fact that Nora wasn't the little spoiled girl some of the New Victorian teenagers were. She is intelligent and stubborn but not in an arrogant way. And what I liked the most was that she's not the pretty little innocent girl she's expected to be. Gotta love a little rebel in a book.


And then there's Bram... I don't know what to say for him.... There's one sentence on the book cover that describes him the best.. "..Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble... and dead."

Lovely don't you think... The combo is perfect and he's great. You just give it time to tune it to the book and you won't even notice he's actually a zombie.


Ohh, I will stop here or I'll tell you something that will spoil the fun of reading the book and that's not acceptable...

It's a must read for everyone!!!!



This book is also part of a three months challenge I participate in Goodreads. It's my number 7.
Here's a link to it if you want to join too, you still can: Quarterly Challenge #4 (December 2011 - February 2012)



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you like this book. I love zombie movies but I haven't read many zombie books so I'm looking forward to this. It sucks the point of view constantly changes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first zombie related book I've ever read and the reason I liked it so much is because there weren't that many scary zombies.... You'll see what i mean when you read the book but don't expect something like the horror movies where zombies jump up and down trying to eat your brain. :D

      Delete