Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Review: Abandon (Abandon trology, #1) by Meg Cabot

Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1)Abandon by Meg Cabot

Goodread's summary:  Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

You can purchase the book from: The Book Depository


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My rating is more 3.5 rather than 4 but let's leave it like that...

My thought on the book...

Well this book was definitely an interesting read. I have mixed feelings about it, though. The story itself is very compelling.

The characters are semi strong but they have their charm and they kind of fit in with the world around them...

Pierce had a near death experience(NDE) and I expected of her to be, like super tough because you don't just wake up from the dead and go on with your life, especially not after seeing the things she did. She was strong but not quite what I imagined her to be. Not a bad character at all, though!

John was a typical bad boy with a strange way of showing his affection but he has bigger problems that trying to be nice... Like what, you ask?.. Oh it's noting.. It's just that his job for a good two centuries has been dealing with the souls of the dead in the Underworld...

So there wasn't much surprise with his strange behavior at times..



I like the characters. I really did. What tipped the scales in my 3.5 stars review is that everything was a big mess! I seriously had a hard time following some events as I was trying to separate the memory from what was happening in the real time... The author was jumping from one detail to another, than to a memory, then there was something of the sort: "my death friend" (that's not exactly it but we've never before heard of someone else dying other than Pierce of course...). It was hard to follow and I got confused at times but then when all the cards were on the table it was great!

I am going to read the second book in the trilogy. I think that now that I know the history behind the characters I would be able to follow more closely...

All in all I really liked it. It was interesting and I guess that messed up story line was on purpose to keep things intriguing . At the end there were just so many things that happened but it wasn't much of a cliff hanger.

Things are definitely not over for Pierce and John and the mess in their world so I am already waiting for the next book to come.

This book is also part of a three months challenge I participate in Goodreads.It's my number 10.
Here's a link to it if you want to join too, you still can: Quarterly Challenge #4 (December 2011 - February 2012)

And this here is the whole cover of the Hardback copy:

click for a bigger image!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment