Friday, December 23, 2011

Review: Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1) by Tera Lynn Childs

Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1) Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Goodreads summary:
Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

  

You can purchase the book from: The Book Depository.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My thoughts:

It's been a week since I read the book and I'm not sure if I'll point out everything I liked and I didn't like in the book but I'll do my best!

The book is very interesting. I'm not a fan of mythology and stuff like that so I have absolutely no idea if what was in the book is accurate or not so I don't have anything to say about that. For me, a book with a mythological background from that genre is new to me since I read mostly vampire books so this was pretty interesting read and it certainly was captivating. I liked the idea of the three sisters. I like many other wish to have a twin, and for these girls( mostly Grace) this was actually coming true.

So the main characters are the three sisters Grace, Gretchen and Greer.

Most of the book was about Grace. We know a lot about her and her adoptive family. About her life before and after she came to live in San Francisco. We got to know her a lot better that we got to know Greer of Gretchen, even though the latter was involved a lot in the book.

Gretchen was the one with the answers to the crazy things that kept happening, or at least some of them. She's the bad-ass girl who is though on the outside but lonely on the inside.

And Greer, well I didn't get enough of her. She came along in the last quarter of the book. She's this rich kind of spoiled(but not too much) type of girl that had a tea party to organize and no time for her triplets and their crazy stories about them being the descendents of the Medusa and all...

That was the part that kind of ruined my five star opinion of the book. The way Gretchen and Grace showed up on Greer's doorstep and just threw the information at her. I mean, come on, it sounds ridiculous when you say this to someone who doesn't know about it. Greer didn't even suspect that she was adopted before those two showed up at her house... I didn't like that part and it was too big just let it slide...

Something else that was just a little bit too much were the guys. Every sister has or had a boy that wouldn't leave her alone because he's obviously into her.. They were like been on honey.

All in all I enjoyed reading the book and didn't until now noticed the stuff that bugged me. I will certainly read the next book when it comes out because I'm intrigued to see what happens next.

This book is also part of a three months challenge I participate in Goodreads. It's my number 9.
Here's a link to it if you want to join too, you still can: Quarterly Challenge #4 (December 2011 - February 2012)

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the joy of reading a book and then with time realising that it wasn't quite as good as you'd originally thought it was. I get that a lot.

    I like the idea of Medusa's offspring in our present day society. But I'm not really sure whether or not this is the book for me... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't my thing either but I started the series and I would probably finish it. :)

      Delete