Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review: The Devouring (The Devouring #1) by Simon Holt

The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)The Devouring by Simon Holt
Part of the Goodreas description:
When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.
To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?
The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare


You can purchase the book from: The Book Depository.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My thoughts:

I don't know how to start this one. It's definitely something new for me and it was interesting but I start to realize that I am too obsessed by Vampires and I don't appreciate enough other creatures.


The story is about two friends that love horror movies and books and everything remotely scary but then they have to face the fact that not all scary stories are fiction. The literally have to face their fears and to fight them because if they don't the will be devoured by them.


It's interesting to follow Reggie actions as she struggles with her teen problems and her mom leaving, and the dad who's almost always somewhere on a job. It's hard for her to keep the house together and to take care of her brother. But it gets harder when a Vour possessed Henry's body and lock's the little boy in his worst nightmares. It was up to Reggie and her best friend Aaron to help the Henry and they did a pretty good job of it considering the situation they were in.


There were some twists and turns along the way but the book is fairly short and everything happened very fast.


I liked it and I would read the next book because I have it and I hope I like the next one better!


This book is also part of a three months challenge I participate in Goodreads. It's my number 3.
Here's a link to it if you want to join too, you still can: Quarterly Challenge #4 (December 2011 - February 2012)


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. great review. I hadn't heard of this series..thanks for bringing it to my attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my review is helpful. Thank you for following my blog, I will follow you back.

      Delete
  2. Good review... I think I know some people who would really like this one! + New Follower

    -Kimberly @ www.turningthepagesx.blogspot.com

    P.S. I'm holding an international book giveaway and 2 of the titles are YA themed. Here's a direct link if you want to check it out: http://turningthepagesx.blogspot.com/2012/02/200-follower-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my review is helpful. Thank you for the follow, I will follow you back. And thanks for mentioning your giveaway. I'll definitely check it out since it's international.

      Delete