Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare

Goodreads summary:

 Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.


Read the whole description here 

Last night I stayed late because I had just a few more pages left to finish the book. Afterwards I didn't want to go to sleep. My head was buzzing from all the thoughts that were racing trough my mind.
Ohh this is going to be hard not to include spoilers.. all I'm going to say is somehow connected to the description or it wont be something too revealing.
The book was amazing. No matter what some people may say, it was incredible.
There is something about the way Cassandra Clare writes her books... I don't know if it's the writing or the story itself, but every book connected to the shadowhunters is brilliant.
As many of you know the story is set back in 1878 and follows the life of Tessa Gray and Will and Jem... Of course there are more characters that take a huge part in the story like Charlotte and Henry, Jessamine and then there are Sophie, Thomas and Agatha. Those are all that live in the Institute, except Tessa, she's just a guest. And of course Nate...
Anyway, we meet Tessa as she was captured by the Dark sisters and that's were it all began. She didn't know anything about the Shadow world before they made her do thing she never imagined possible. They made her use a power she didn't know she had and they made her transform into other people.
Terrifying but she handled herself quite well, and she put up with everything in the fist chapter or two, just because she was scared about her brother...
And then there was Will. He is a lot like Jace just with dark hair and amazing blue eyes(kind of like Alex). He is arrogant and he can be pretty mean but there is a lot more to him that he lets anyone see. He is probably the most complex character so far because we know him and at the very same time we have no idea who he is. His behavior changes a lot and the only sure thing about him is that he loves his parabatai, Jem. They are like brothers and this is the strongest relationship Will has to anyone.
Jem on the other hand is completely opposite of Will. He is kind and sweet and a real gentleman. He has a secret of his own but we did get the chance to find what it is... I think he has a thing for Tessa but I can't be sure..
The time span of the book isn't very long.. a month or two... (or I've seriously missed some parts of the book :D... no I think it was about a month or two..) but as the days passed Tessa grew fond of the people that helped her escape the Dark sisters and that brought a different problem because when the time comes she has to choose a side... (ooh that sounded mysterious :D).
The ending was not big of a cliff-hanger but again I didn't have to wait for the next book. It was a disturbing end though. I would have liked it to end in a different way but in the same time I don't because this way is unique and I love it.
I enjoyed this book a lot. I don't know why I put it off for so long to read it, by now I should know that Clare's work is really great.
I started book 2 today at school.. I will be writing a review of it as soon as I finish it! 

I give it:
 You can find the book on Goodreads

And purchase it from: 

 The Book DepositoryAmazon, Barnes & Noble
Also find the author on Goodreads and her website.


 Until the next time,

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, Martina! I adored this book too and I also loved Clockwork Prince. It's going to be SO hard to wait for book three!

    New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review !!

    Dear, I am hosting Harvey Prince international giveaway currently, where 10 winners will win $550 worth of Perfumes...Would mean a lot...Just click the link below to enter :)

    Enter 10 winner Harvey Prince ($550) Giveaway
    ♡ StylishByNature.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Now I want to read it even more. But my list would take me years, or I'd have to stop writing and only read.

    Hmm. I had trouble signing in with GFC because the button to choose my blogger ID wouldn't let me select. I had to slide where I usually click. But I'm here because you sent me the link after you won this book on my blog. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to visit and comment!
    Nicola, first I want to thank you for following my blog. I hope you come and see my upcoming reviews :). I am currently reading Clockwork Prince, or should I say currently avoiding finishing it. I don't think I'm ready leave Tessa's world just yet and there's going to be a long waiting period... :D I'll post my review of the book sometime during next two weeks.

    Stylish By Nature I'll sure visit and check out your giveaway! Thanks for the comment.

    Sher A. Hart, yes I saw your email about the comments on my reviews.. Thank you for taking the time to visit. I want to tank you again for the books because I enjoyed them so much! I know the feeling to not have time to read... You have writing to keep you busy and I have school but I always find time to sit and read for a little while! You shouldn't stop writing but don't miss out on reading! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete