Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review: Divergent (Divergent trilogy, #1) by Veronica Roth

Summary from the author's site:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.

OH MY GOD!
This book is incredible. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started it but everywhere I looked there were 5 stars reviews of the book. I didn't read any of them because I didn't want any spoilers and decided to believe the hundreds of people that loved it! I wanted to find on my own just how good it is and what all the noise was about and let me tell you, it was worth it. There is no other book like this one!
I was pretty lost at the beginning, stepping into a completely new world. It took some getting used to and I'm still figuring out some things but everything else is so freaking awesome!!!
Beatris is a sixteen year old girl from the faction Abrigation. Yeah, I didn't know what that meant either...
All her life she ties to be selfless and she almost always is, but there are times that she is fighting her faction ant that's not good. Not good at all, when all she is not supposed to think of herself.
When the Choosing Day comes, Beatris has to make a very important decision which she'll have to live with for the rest of her life.
Is she selfless enough to remain at Abregation, with her family, or is she destined for another faction.
Tris(the name she chooses for herself after the Choosing Day) is different than most people. She is Divergent, but even she doesn't know what exactly Divergent is. All she knows is that she must keep it to herself or she won't last long in her new faction.
Over the few months she spends at the Dauntless compound she learns to fight, to control her fears and to be brace. Her life changes and so does she.
I really enjoyed reading this books. It's something different than your average young adult book and even tough it's fiction there is something quite real to it. I found it incredibly compelling.
As I got to know Tris and everyone around her(especially Four <3) I grew to love her friends and to hate her enemies. I experienced something amazing while reading the book and I can't believe that I've waited so long to read it.
The world that Veronica Roth has created is unbelievable and amazing... I still can't wrap my brain around it but I love it.
In the end I was so shocked by what happened. I feel like my heart broke in a hundred peaces and the only way it's going to heal is if I read more of the story. I just can't wait to get my hands on book two- Insurgent. If it's even a bit as good as this one, then I'll definitely fall in love with it too!
I'll finish now because if I continue I'll start ranting about random parts that stick out in my mind and that will just be too confusing to those who haven't read the book.
Know this though, there is a very good reason that the book is a best-seller and has won so many book awards already. It is incredible!

 I give it:
You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website



See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment