Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades trilogy, #2) by E.L James

Goodread summary:
Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.

Okay so where do I start?
Fifty Shades Darker is so much better than book one, still not perfect but amazing. It was an improvement in pretty much every way possible. It was somehow more serious, there were less sex scenes and the characters were growing up before our eyes.
I started to like Christian more and more and by the end of the book I kind of loved the man he became.
He's just so much different than the cold, scary CEO Christian Gray we saw in the fist book. He was more involved, there were so many emotions in him , good and bad(at times when he was scared about Ana's safety, he would lash out and we all know he could be pretty harsh but the ice melted away quickly every time he saw that she was safe and sound).
There was this one chapter in which we me Dr. Flynn and he said that emotionally Christian is still and adolescent and that made a lot of sense because he changes his moods so fast!
Anyway, I could go on and on about Christian's character, the changes in him and his growth as a (fictional) person but that would take too much time.
Now let's talk about Ana. She was devastated when she left Christian and she wanted to craw back to him begging for forgiveness but she also knew that she can't be the submissive he needs. I respected her a little for standing up to her own heart when her safety was involved, she made the right choice when she left. That's what I liked about her, her determination to put herself first. The thing that bugged me was that the grieving period was cut so short, but I wasn't really surprised that Ana jumped at the offer Christian made her. She's still dependent on Christian but their relationship is healthier that before so that's something!
I sill hated every mention of the inner goddess and Ana's subconscious, like they are real people standing next to her doing back flips or whatever but that is simply EL James' fault for always putting them there..
As I said before, this book was more serious than book one. The characters had to face some real world dangers and they couldn't hide in their little bubble of love and way too much sex, all the time! Ana had to face some problems on her own and she did a good job considering what she was going through. Christian had a hard time letting go as always but he managed too....

All in all I really enjoyed this book and I found it better written and more complex. It was complicated and I loved it!
There were so many awesome scenes but here are some of my favorites:
The first one I absolutely loved was when Elena cornered Ana at Christian's birthday party after they announced their engagement. The moment when Ana splashed her drink on Elena was precious just like the one when Grace slapped Elena.
Another favorite moment.. well this one actually surprised me a lot that's why it's burned into my mind, and that was when Christian fell on his knees as submissive when he thought Ana was leaving. It was heartbreaking and I was so pissed at Ana at that moment that she made him so insecure. That's when I really saw it, that she was his weakness and she could break him.
Oh I loved this book and I can't wait to start the next one, to re-read it so I could write my review of it.
But let me just say that this book IS NOT for everyone. Pick your reads carefully guys and if you don't like erotica don't start this.

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marti! I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for the Liebster Blog Award! I didn't know if you already did it or don't accept awards. Here is the post if you want to check it out:
    http://oliviasbookaholiclife.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete