Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades of Gray (Fifty Shades Trilogy, #1) by EL James

Goodread summary:
When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

Okay, let me start with the fact that this book is not for everyone! Read a few reviews and see what other people make of it but give it a try and see if you like it for yourself.
The book is far away from perfect, I won't try to convince anyone that it is... but I loved it!
I actually am behind on all the buzz about the book and I just saw this incredible( but negative) review of the book and I had to see what it was about.. And now though I agree with a lot of the things that were pointed out, like the 'oh my's and the 'fingers running trough someone's hair' and the incredibly annoying inner goddess and non-stop sex(erotica is not exactly my genre and the sex was a little bit too much for me), that didn't matter. I wanted to and did focus on the story behind all that and it was fascinating and addictive and I sped trough it, and I loved it, loved it, loved it.
As I said already, the book is not for everyone, so is BDSM. So as long as people are happy with it, it's entirely their choice...
In the book it wasn't entirely Ana's choice, that's one of the reasons for the negative reviews, but Ana made what was best for her when it was too much. I loved reading about her life. It was a bit annoying with all the blushing but then again I would probably blush too if I was in her place...
What I absolutely hated was the inner goddess. Oh I hated that thing, and it was everywhere :D.
Ok back to the story.
Let's talk about Anastasia. She is the shy, innocent girl that's minding her own business when she stumbled into the big bad wolf.
Christian Gray changed her life. He came, dropped the bomb that is his lifestyle and gave her an opportunity. And she took him up on it even though that she wasn't entirely comfortable with it. What most people don't get or just don't stay with the book long enough is that Ana grew up. She was innocent and not ready for what the world has to offer her and by the end of the book she learned to think about herself. Leaving the charming, lovable, and incredibly fucked-up Christian was the hardest decision she had to make and she did it to protect herself. She saved herself from an somewhat abusive relationship and she did it not to please someone but to keep herself safe. That's how I see it.
I see her as a gown woman that is ready to face what's next. And that is the influence I take from the book.
Christian on the other hand is so much different. On the outside he's a sweet candy, and on the inside he is broken and fucked-up. He is incredibly successful (a little bit too much so) and he looks like a God but the beauty is only skin deep. He is scarred for life from his childhood and from his adolescence and you could say he's beyond any fixable state. He's possessive, over-protective and with stalking tendencies but it's obvious he cares for Ana. Yes he put her in a bad position by exposing her to his lifestyle but that's all he knows until she shows up. He likes control but with Ana he always finds himself at loss because she is not easy to control with her 'smart mouth' and all the personal questions and the disobeying but she is the light in the end of the tunnel. He is changing too as the book proceeds and his character build into something more complex than the cold demeanor we met at first.
The story was really addictive. I found myself glued to it and I didn't want to stop. I read it in two days and I loved it.
That all being said, I still think that the book has its flaws and it's far away from perfect but it is amazing.
I am glad that I checked my email when I did and that I found the amazing review(I'll ask if I can post a link to it later).
I already read all the books but I simply couldn't stop to write a review. Now I'm going to re-read them again and slowly and thoughtfully write reviews for the other two books.


 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.



See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment