Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent

Goodread summary:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

Okay, the beginning of My Soul to Take was a little strange. I have to say I rather didn't like it very much. Especially the way Nash just swept in and saved the day. It was kind of weird to see this character we know absolutely nothing about come and start flirting with the main character, when we didn't even know her story. But at some point I warmed up to him and his presence, I guess he does have the ability to calm people down and to influence them... :)
Hmm... well maybe I need to correct myself, it's not that I didn't like the beginning, it just was a little confusing and frustrating not knowing anything.
Once we got past the introductions to the bean sidhes I couldn't stop reading. It was so new and interesting and compelling and mysterious. I loved it!
I don't really know what to say . The story is awesome on so many levels and I couldn't stop reading it until I finished it.
Kaylee was the perfect narrator because she didn't know much more than us when the girls started dropping dead for no apparent reason. We got to hear the new information firsthand as she did and it was bearable not knowing the details.
Kaylee and Nash had a crazy first days as a couple but the connection that formed between them was unbelievably strong. Their relationship is still developing beautifully and I see Nash as the anchor that kept Kaylee from losing her mind... that and I quite enjoyed his presence because he's pretty irresistible.
What I loved most about the book is that it's not your typical YA story where two teenagers are fighting the whole world to keep their relationship intact. It was more serious than that and they were fighting to keep someone else alive.
The insight on the afterlife that Tod provided was well appreciated.
I haven't read books where the afterlife of a person is so well described. The whole system was fascinating.
As the book progressed I found myself glued to my iPod and I loved every second of it.
The supporting characters did their job well and the light was on Kaylee the whole time.
I loved the last chapter but I also felt sad when my suspicions were confirmed about Kaylee's mom and about her death. I kind of expected it to turn out that way but I wasn't looking forward to the moment when Kay found out that the 'borrowed time' she's living on is indeed her mother's.
The events in the last chapter were surprising and the end left me wanting to read the next book right away.
I'll be finishing up now and I'll go and start doing just that.
Well go ahead and start reading this series if you haven't already. The book certainly was incredible.
 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here is another cover I found:


See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment