Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review: Bared to you (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day

Please, beware that the book falls in the Adult genre, so read on if you're over 18...


Goodread summary:
Our journey began in fire... Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness-beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily... 
Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires. 
The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

I'm not even sure how to begin writing this review... I'm very emotional about this book and it's probably going to come out as ramblings but there is no way I can concentrate long enough to try and write a more serious review.
Before I started I had a pretty good idea what the book was about, but even that wasn't enough to prepare me for what I witnessed in it. I can't believe I let myself start reading a book so intense and addictive. It took me less than 12 hours to read it because I literally couldn't leave it for more than a few minutes. Maybe I should have slowed down and let myself have a few days of it or I should have waited for October to come so Deeper in you would come out.. I didn't and as I was reading I'm not sure I could've. Once I started it everything was too hard and too fast. There were so many emotions, so much passion between the main characters, Eva Tremell and Gideon Cross, and yet as the book progressed they were both a mystery to me. For the better half of the book we didn't really know anything about the characters and by the end of it there was only Eva's story that we learned about.
Gideon Cross is still a mystery to me and to everyone, but the funny thing is that I didn't realize that until the book was over. It was the only bad thing in the book and it wasn't so noticeable while reading it so it didn't really matter at the time, but now that I have nothing else to think about I'm going crazy.
Whatever Gideon was going through, whatever gave him nightmares that nearly destroyed his relationship with Eva a few times, it was horrible and he never said a word about it.
As I said before, the book was so intense. The characters were all actively involved in the storyline and there were such strong emotions flying between all the them, that it was impossible for me not to feel them too, and to feel them with the same intensity as the rest.
I was sucked into the story right from the beginning and I absolutely loved every second I spent reading it. It was definitely a book that will be well loved by Christian Grey's fans, yeah the one from E.L. James' absolutely stunning Fifty Shades trilogy.
The raw power in Gideon, his need to control everything, his lifestyle (closed off and cool) it all hit too close to home and I immediately made the connection between him and Christian. It's hard not to, when Gideon is so unbelievably hot and his powerful presence is really hard, damn impossible to ignore. And just like Fifty, Gideon has dark and dangerous secrets that could qualify him as 'fifty shades of fucked-up'.
Eva on the other hand is almost nothing like Ana. She is too described as the submissive in the relationship( though it's nothing like Christian and Ana's, there is no BDSM) but Eva is stronger and/or at least she tries to be. She works hard to forget or deal with her past and you'll realize just how hard that is when you find out what happened to her. Eva's past is filled with too much pain and I was very shocked from it. I really didn't expect it. I though it was maybe drugs or something like that but.. oh was I wrong or what?..

As I read the book there were a few quotes that got my attention but I singled out only one...:
'Eva... If you just tell me what you want- ' His throat worked on a swallow. 'I can get better at this, if you give me the chance. Just don't... don't give up on me.'

The level of devotion and need to make things work in such an early stage of their relationship was breathtaking. I was stunned by how many times Gideon let himself show weakness in her presence. And it was all the more powerful because that's coming from a man that prides himself to be cool and distant but when Eva's involved he can't seem to put a wall between them, he doesn't want to.
There were so many beautiful moments in the book and so many that almost made me cry...
It was unbelievable. I love it, love it, love it. I'm probably going to start re-reading it very soon and I'm going to obsess about it for a while and then I'm going to sit back and patiently wait for book two to come out so I can devour it as fast as I did this one.

 I give it:


I don't give this a lot and I save it for books that leave a deep mark in my heart... this one is one of those books. I absolutely loved it. It was beautiful, fast, passionate, hot, it was everything a book should be!

You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other covers I found:






See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martina;)

    Loved your review! You summed up my thoughts on this one exactly! I can't get enough of these characters!! I'm so glad you loved it,:) I also adored the quote you chose!! I can't because I have some awesome reviews lined up, but reading your review makes me want to re-read it again, lol.

    P.s. I replied to your comment on my review because you can request Pushing The Limits from NG and read it early for review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Vain,
      Thanks for stopping by. I loved the idea of the book ever since you recommended it to me and then I started reading it and I was lost to the obsession... You should give in to the need or re-reading it again. It will be fun!

      PS: I should write you an email to ask you for more book recommendations. We seem to have the same taste in books and I really need to be stirred in the right direction because from where I'm standing there are just too many books out there to be able to pick through them all by myself...

      Delete