Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Nightshade (Nightshade trilogy, #1) by Andrea Cremer

Goodread summary:
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she’ll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters’ laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything - including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Nightshade is a book I've seen around the blog-sphere a lot and I was looking forward to reading it. Now that I actually finished it (for just 3 days) I am mad at myself for not starting it earlier.
I borrowed the first book from the library and when I started this one I hurried back and took the other two books so I don't have to stop and wait to get the next!
Oh, let me just tell you that the book is absolutely awesome. I loved it.
I for once didn't stop to think if I didn't like something. I just let go and read the book hour after hour without stopping( I took it with me to school and read most of the time too, but I still had to stop for big intervals of time and it was really hard to separate myself from the book). I literally relaxed when I held it in my hands and started to read again.
It was great to find a read like that, it was relaxing to let go of the thoughts if this part was strong or if something was bothering me...
The story was compelling and interesting and I was lost in it after the first few chapters.
Reading from Calla's P.O.V. was incredible and it gave me a completely new perspective. Her world is so amazing but her life is laid out in front of her and she is powerless when it comes to the important stuff. That is until she met Shay of course.
Calla was strong and independent(as much as she can) and as an alpha, her urge to rule over her pack is incredibly strong, yet she was trapped in the Keepers' plans for her and until she met Shay, she had no way out.
He gave her just that. He was the breath of fresh air to clear her mind or the tornado that scattered her believes into tiny little peaces.
The life she was supposed to live with Ren and her pack wasn't so bad on it's own and in my opinion she would have been happy with it if she had any say in it whatsoever! But as the female leader of the new pack of the new generation of wolves(Guards) she had to be someone she is not! She had to turn into that graceful person who will bow her head to the male alpha (Ren) and that was just not who she was.
Calla has a really strong personally but what I liked most was that even though she is tough, she was uncertain of herself, she was scared and normal and... well, she felt real.
Ren Laroche is the alpha male of the young Bane pack and he has it all. The good looks, the girls trailing after him... but that's all just a shell. At least I think it is. I mean, yeah, he was enjoying himself when Calla wasn't supposed to even have a boyfriend before the new pack is created, but even then when we got to know him, there was something in him that isn't all that perfect.
He has his demons and his life is not easy but I really thing he loves Calla. Too bad she didn't really know it(when I thing of it, she missed a lot of the stuff that were happening around her while she was fighting her own heart).
I liked Ren, he is the intoxicating kind of guy everyone wants but I believe there was more to him that meets the eye and if he got the chance I think he would have made Calla happy. Maybe he still could.. well see...
Anyway, both alphas had to live with the choice that was made for them by the Keepers and they did a pretty good job out of it until Shay Doran showed up in town and stirred the ghosts of the past...
He is the weak human that was nearly killed by a bear, he is the person that made Calla start breaking the rules, he is the guy that stole her heart, he is the guy that the Keepers want around for their own twisted reasons... he is a lot and yet there is so much more to him that I ever imagined...
I am still conflicted about how I feel about him but it's not him that bothers be that much as what he turned Calla into. She changed a lot since she met him....

I enjoyed this book because Call is not all mighty, She is not the strongest person on the whole world and her life is a constant struggle between what she has to do and what her heart wants. Her story is not a heartbreaking soap opera but a story about what a person is capable of for their freedom.
Another thing I loved was that Call was emotional and I was able to connect to her and to feel what she felt when all hell broke loose around her. Her fear and uncertainty brought the flat pages of the book to life and turned then into the beautiful story this is(yeah I know beauty is not often connected with wolves and blood and wraiths and wraith and all the fights and stuff that were going around but it was).
Working her way around all the rules set from the Keepers that are supposed to keep her kind at bay, Calla stumbled upon dark secrets and she discovered the lies that the Keepers have been feeding her and every other Guard out there. All her believes collapsed around her and she had to make up her mind what and who she can trust.
By the end of the book she found herself in the line of fire from both her previous masters and the only enemy she ever knew!

I loved this one and I can't wait to read book 2!

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other covers I found:

There are a few more variants of these covers but they only have different colors so that's it!

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

1 comment: