Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1) by Louise Rozett

Goodread summary:
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make... #1: I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who "might" be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

#3: High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry-get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) 

(Sorry. That was rude.)



I don't really know how to describe this book. I liked it but I didn't love it. There was one big thing that I just can't get over and that's the main character's age.
When I read the summary to the book I kind of envisioned a sixteen or seventeen year-old girl that has some serious problems that just make her angry all the time. I expected someone who would lash out by the smallest thing and who will be more open to the world. Maybe even someone meaner. But what I witnessed was a fourteen year-old girl that was just starting high school, she's just lost her dad over the summer after he died in an explosion in Iraq, her brother moved away to go to college, her mom is more interested in her job and she's been distant ever since her father's death and her best friend is even more self-absorbed than usual. And on top of that Rose is falling for a guy that's too old for her, a guy that has a girlfriend that's now out to ruin Rose's life and she is harassing Rose because she's jealous.
It's a big mess and there was a lot of potentially disastrous moments that could have created so much more action if only the main heroine wasn't a kid but a older angrier teen.
I was kind of expecting something else, and I know that I make it sound like I didn't like the book at all but that's not true. I enjoyed the book the way it was and I really did like it, I mean I managed to read it in one night which is saying a lot.
It was an interesting read and the way it ended definitely makes me crave the second book! I somehow thing that the series is going to built into the story I envisioned in the beginning but only time will tell.

Overall I really liked the book, there were moments when I laughed out loud, then there were moments that made me pull at my hair because I wanted to yell at the someone from the book (mainly Trace, Rose's best friend, because she was so annoying at times... most of the time...), and then there were the times Rose mentioned her dad and everything because more serious. It was and emotional read and I enjoyed it very much. I can't wait for book two to come out sometime next year.

I want to thank

Harlequin (UK) and NetGalley

for providing me with an e-ARC of this book
.

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

2 comments:

  1. New follower here!

    I'm starting this today. I'm kind of thrown off by the age thing... I'll try not to let it get to me though.

    Great review!

    Check out my blog:
    YA Vixens

    -Kait[Vixen 1]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one although I missed the romance a bit. I liked that the next book will follow Rose's part in growing up!

    ReplyDelete