Thursday, August 16, 2012

YA Review: A Million Suns (Across the Universe trilogy, #2) by Beth Revis

Goodread summary:

Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.
It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.

In book two of the Across the Universe trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Beth Revis mesmerizes us again with a brilliantly crafted mystery filled with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.



I've had this one on my to-read list for some time now and I got the chance to read it so I went with it. And now that it's over I have conflicted feelings over it.
The book was definitely interesting, there's no question there, but it somehow wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. I found myself glued to it and they I was looking more at the ending that what was happening in the present.
Anyway...
I loved it because of the mystery. Because of all the running around and the idea and because of how Elder and Amy were fighting for control.
I was surprised to see Elder step up and try so hard but I was more surprised by what was actually happening at the ship. I can't believe that the people there would condemn themselves like that because that's what they were doing by leaving their abandoning their responsibilities.
And I guess I was just shocked that everyone turned up against the only person on that ship that was trying to save them... to find a way to make them move.
I was a bit pissed of by Amy and her outbursts but that was only by the end of the book and I get where she's coming from. I get that she's anxious to be reunited with her family and that the ship is like a cage for her but couldn't he be happy that she's alive...
It's not that I don't like her, I do, but there were a few moments when I just wanted to choke her.
I hated how just when a new clue turned up and Elder and Amy weren't at the same place at the same time, how I had to wait through the whole chapter to see what happens with the clue... I just didn't like all the jumping around from P.O.V to P.O.V when the characters were separated. Of course I disapproved just for a little while because then something even more interesting would happen in that P.O.V and I would lose my disapproval...
There were a lot answers in this book. I like how almost everything became clear in the end. I like the honesty from Elder and how the decision to leave Godspeed was made. The events of book one set a chain reaction and everything was very different now for better or worse.
I disliked the ending. It came way too sudden and I didn't want it to end. I wanted to see what happens next but I guess this is a story for another book so I'll be awaiting that one anxiously. This one with it's strong and weak spots was a very interesting read.
All in all, I enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one!

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase if from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other covers I found:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

2 comments:

  1. Oh I liked that cover that matches the new Across The Universe (second edition) cover ! I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet. The plot sounds like it is set up similar to the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it. It's similar to the first book but a lot of the questions that were raised in Across the Universe get answers and it's a very informative book.

      Delete