Monday, August 27, 2012

YA Review: Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Goodread summary:
Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.



The story of Sam and Grace is not one that sucked me right in and I didn't obsess over it but it definitely was interesting.
The beginning was a big slow for me or I was too distracted to notice but as the book progressed there were things that made me continue to read.
It's basically a story of a girl and a wolf. That's Sam and Grace's relationship for four years. The summers Grace is lonely but when the temperatures start to drop her wolf comes back to the edge of the woods in her back yard and he is always there, watching, wanting.
Sam has been a wolf for the bigger part of his life. When he was turned. his parents almost killed him and they scarred him for life but he lived passed that only to have his humanity taken away from him by the cold every winter and the wolf in him.
It was interesting to follow their story but what bugged me was how little they did. The fell in a routine so easily and that was the most unbelievable part of everything. It just didn't get real for me. I usually get sucked in the books I read and I feel like I'm in there with the characters... but here it was more like I was a watching from above, thinking about skipping forward..
I was like that until the pace started to pick up. I liked that Beck showed up, I liked that they found Jack, and I liked that they figured out a possible cure. I like the pace everything happened in the end and I like what happened because I felt for Grace. It was more real, and it was like I could feel her pain. Thinking that Sam is gone after loosing Jack and Olivia, it was the worst time of her life and I could feel it too.
The ending is the only reason I'm giving the book 3 stars and the only reason why I'll read the next book!

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

 And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other covers I found:
and here is the Bulgarian cover:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment