Thursday, August 23, 2012

Adult Review: Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill

The book is with Adult content so please, beware if you're under 18.

Goodread summary:
First in a brand new series about a Chicago graduate student's introduction into a society of vampires.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude- and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood.




I had the incredible opportunity to read this book soon after I started obsessing over it.
My knowledge about it was very limited since I hadn't read all that many reviews and only heard of it because of the release of the sixth book but I was eager to read and see what all the fuss was about.
Well now I know and I and fussing along with everyone. I have to say that I absolutely loved this and I can't wait to start reading book two.
It's officially my new obsession and that was pretty much all thanks to Merit. Every word that left her mouth had me grinning like and idiot and I absolutely loved the way she sees the world around her. She was not informed of the vampire politics and their way of living any more than the readers who are picking the book for the first time like me, and we got to learn along with her about how things work in the incredible vampire society that was build by Chloe Neill.
The world around Merit is interesting, new, it has fresh take on the whole 'vampire' issue and it was very well created.
The first few chapters, well actually the entire book was very well written and it was introductory and explanatory. I learned along with Merit what it is to live in Chicago a few months after the vampires revealed themselves to the world and it's pretty fascinating.
Merit also brought her personal issued from her former life into the equation so the story was even more colorful and full of surprises.
The readers get a glimpse of the reason behind the estrangement between Merit and her parents but we never got to know her first name so there is so much more we have to learn about her.
Chloe Neill also introduced us to a whole other level of bad-ass grandparenting in the face of Merit's Grandfather.
It was a very complex mix of feelings that I experienced while reading the book. I was laughing, I was pissed of... it was easy to mimic Merits reaction.

I loved everything about the book, I loved Merit, I loved Mallory, I definitely loved Jeff and Catcher. I want to see more of Ethan. He played his role of Master of the Cadogan house perfectly and was very interesting character, but I won't even start down the path of explaining you about him... I simply can't do him justice so if you're curious, go ahead and read the book. There is plenty of him going around..

I really love this book. I found it fascinating and I definitely am going to continue reading the series.

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other covers I found:
and the Audiobook cover:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

4 comments:

  1. Great review, I love a book that has you laughing one minute and pissed off the next! This series has been on my radar, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I read this during a read-along last year and loved it. I haven't read book 2 yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the book was amazing. The series really is great and you should read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review... I'm glad you liked it.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete