Monday, September 3, 2012

YA Review: Beautiful Creatures ( Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!

Goodread summary:
There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.




Okay.. so Beautiful Creatures is a very interesting and compelling story. It's about a boy and a girl and their forbidden love... Doesn't sound very original, does it?
Yeah, well, if only.
The boy, Ethan Wate was your ordinary small town boy who dreams of the day when he will leave his hometown to go to university and to forget all the memories Gatlin keeps. The memories of his dead mother, the memories of the father that has kept to himself since his wife's death, the memories of the downright awful people that live in the town and their constant gossiping...
He wants to escape, he wants a life away from the craziness and the routines everyone around him has. But that chances so fast. In the first chapter all he though about was leaving, afterwards all he though about was the new fascinating girl in town, Lena Duchannes.
Problem is, she's not a normal girl and not everyone in town likes her... Actually everyone started to hate her just because she was an outsider and because she was the niece of Macon Ravenwood, the town's creep that never leaves his house..
That's not all, though. Lena's family has a big secret and a curse looming over them, threatening Lena's future.
The story was good. I liked it but the pace was a little off. For a big part of the book there was this running around and I'm not sure why. The thing with first books in a series is that nothing is really clear because we haven't found out the whole story wet and it's hard to follow sometimes.
I'm not sure if it was because it's from Ethan's P.O.V (I'm used to reading books with female main characters, not that I have anything against those with male main characters, it's just they are not that common) but there was something not quite wright for me.
I wanted to read the story more because I wanted to see what happens, not because I was driven by some unseen force...
Anyway, I did like the book no matter what. It's a fact that I wanted to read it and that it held some interest for me to want to finish it.
I liked the characters because everyone had something to bring to the table and I was curious to see what they are going to do next. The side characters were quite interesting and I especially loved Ridley and even though she is dark, she had a certain flirty and mostly naughty air around her and it was fun to watch.
I will give the book 4 stars because there were some pretty good moments in it and because I want to watch the movie and read the next book but the book is more of a 3.5 rating...
I'm conflicted about it because it was definitely not one of those books that make me what to cry because it's over but it was interesting nevertheless.

 I give it:



You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the authors on Goodreads (Garcia), Goodreads (Stohl)  and their website (Garcia) , website (Stohl).

Here are the other covers I found:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about starting this series, but I just don't feel very motivated. It sounds like it's one of those books you read if you get the chance rather than the kind you obsess about.I think I'll give it a go one of these days. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of is one of those books you read if you get the chance but it's pretty good. Not one of the best I've read but it was good!

      Delete