Thursday, September 20, 2012

Adult Review: Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill

The book is with Adult content so please, beware if you're under 18.

Goodread summary:
Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and Merit the vampire can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn, or the calm before the storm. With the city itself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times have never been more precarious for the vampires. If only they could lay low for a bit...

Then magic rears its ugly head when Lake Michigan turns black. The mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows a panic is coming. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for both the vampires and humans.




I have to say there are spoilers in this review. I couldn't help myself, sorry! 

Oh I have no idea how to describe this book. It was incredible (obviously... well it becomes obvious in the end) and it was nerve wrecking.
I was kind of stunned after reading Hard Bitten and I was hesitant with investing my feelings into this book as well because the ending of book 4 broke my heart.
“There are nights when the world is completely askew
because he’s gone.”

But there was so much action and so many things were changing and Merit had to change according to the situations she was put in. That transition was even harder because she had to do it without Ethan and that was actually the biggest and hardest change she had to face, working without him, living without him.
No matter how rocky their relationship was in the previous books, they had become pretty dependent on each other and when Merit had to face the new problems in Chicago all on her own she was pretty scared. Good thing, or at least not so bad, was that Jonah was there to help her. He quickly took Ethan's place as her partner at work but don't get me wrong. The transition for Merit wasn't an easy one an most of the time she was feeling like she was somehow betraying Ethan but the situation was out of control and she needed help. Even though Jonah started to show interest she wasn't ready to move on and it was obvious to the readers and to the other characters.
In this book I think Merit realized how much she really cared for Ethan and how much she needed him, but also she learned to use the skills he was teaching her and she was honoring his memory by becoming this stronger person that was fighting for her House, for her city and for everyone in it when she was forbidden to do it. She proved herself to the people in the House and to her new partner and she was really impressive.
And of course Merit, ever the optimist was in play as always:
“I'm working from the assumption it's going to go horribly wrong. If we get out of here with limbs intact and no aspen slivers in uncomfortable places, we're calling it a win."
The plot in the book was incredibly shocking! It was just so many things happening in the same time and things got worse by the minute and all hell was about to break loose and as it turned out Merit had to face a betrayal nobody expected. I was stunned when Mer figured out who was causing the trouble and it was unbelievable....
But something good came from that betrayal and I am actually happy it happened. Yeah it sucks that Merit lost a friend but she got Ethan back so that's good....
“I have been given a third chance at life, even if the circumstances are somewhat disconcerting. You are mine, and we both know it.”
Oh Hell Yeah! he's back!!!! but not until almost the end of the book so there's a lot to happen before that.
There, as usual, was lots and lots of drama following every vampire from Cadogan House.
But there were also some pretty funny moments amidst of all the drama.
“And that’s why we’re sending Boobs McGee.”
I slowly swiveled my head to glare at Catcher. “Seriously. You’re, what, twelve now?”
***
“Then I guess that settles that,” I agreed. “My boobs and I will go.”


And there was this crazy stupid and annoying as hell receiver that was walking around the house like he owned everything and everyone in it and he was practically making everybody's lives a living hell and he was making so many changes so soon after Ethan's death. I was seriously surprised somebody didn't kill him.
Also even though a lot of people blame Catcher for not noticing or not doing something about what Mallory did, I don't blame him and I actually just noticed that he was involved in some of the lol moments and even though he was grumpy as always he was somewhat helpful.

All in all the book was kind of frustrating but still interesting. I had of course read a spoiler so I was dying to reach the moment of Ethan's return. The book was somehow just not as good when he wasn't there but the anticipation was building more and more with every next chapter and I enjoyed it so much!
That's why I'm giving this one 5 stars even though it had it's weak spots..
I can't wait to start the next book. It just came out so that's good.

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads,

And purchase it from:

 The Book Depository, Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other covers I found:
and here's the audiobook cover:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment