Monday, October 1, 2012

YA Review: Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1) by Gemma Halliday

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers.

Goodread summary:
Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren’t enough, now he’s depending on Hartley to clear his name.

But as much as Hartley wouldn’t mind seeing him squirm, she knows he’s innocent, and she’s the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school’s resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer’s next victim.




Deadly Cool... Oh I have conflicted feelings about this book.
I started the book at least two months ago and I was excited to finally get the chance to read it... and I was so disappointed. It was so boring and I didn't find anything interesting it the beginning. It was a very slow start.
And now, two months later I decided that I'm going to finish that book even if I have to hang myself afterwards and that's when things changed. The pace picked up, the story got more interesting, there were some quirky moments and it was fun, not considering the murders. The character blossomed and she was so sarcastic and funny and I loved the jokes and the conversations...
It was like it was another book. The change was incredible. I don't know if it's just me, if I didn't pay it enough attention at first or if it was just slow...
Anyway, I ended up liking it quite a bit! I was actually considering buying the second book and I still am.
Okay let me tell you a little bit about it. This is the story of a sixteen year old Hartley. She is a quite happy teen, she's not very popular but she is not one of the weird kids, she has a great boyfriend, a best friend to die for and things with her mom are fine.. And then it was all over when the rumors started.
The rumors of her boyfriend cheating on her. That pretty much put on hold her normal life. Suddenly everyone knew she was the girl that was cheated on, and then after that afternoon she went to confront her boyfriend in his house, she was known as the one who found the dead girls body in her (ex)boyfriends house...
At this point things were still a little bit of but I guess they started to pick up when Chase came around.
Chase, the bad boy, is the editor of the school's newspaper and he is looking for a story. Working with Hart to find the real murderer will get him just that.
When he showed up things started to get more interesting and the whole book changed into something I actually enjoyed and I was laughing at Hart's lovely sarcasm and her mom as she was overreacting (oh well, I guess your daughter dating an alleged murderer will do that to you).

I did really took seriously the whole dead bodies showing around town thing because it didn't feel very real, but it was entertaining as hell...

Overall, I really enjoyed picking up the book again and I'm happy I did it. I would have missed out on a good read. I'm still debating whether or not I should read book two, what do you guys thing? Is it any good?

 I give it:

You can find the book on Goodreads

And purchase it from

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

or


or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,
The links for the purchase to Amazon and The Book Depository are linked the my affiliate accounts and I will receive a small amount of money, which I plan to use for future giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment