Monday, October 22, 2012

YA Review: The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!

Goodread summary:
Darcy Jones doesn’t remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere—but she couldn’t have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn’t happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn’t thought possible. But Conn’s interest in her is confusing. It doesn’t line up with the way he first looked at her.

As if she were his enemy.

When Conn betrays Darcy, she realizes that she can’t rely on anything—not herself, not the laws of nature, and certainly not him. Darcy decides to infiltrate the Shadow Society and uncover the Shades’ latest terrorist plot. What she finds out will change her world forever . . .

In this smart, compulsively readable novel, master storyteller Marie Rutkoski has crafted an utterly original world, characters you won’t soon forget, and a tale full of intrigue and suspense. 

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


I got the book from NetGalley more than a month ago but as always I waited for the last possible moment to read it. Friday afternoon I saw that I had only four days left to read the book and the title was already archived so I couldn't download it again, so I started it right away and I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish it.
I didn't have to worry. As soon as I started it I was hooked. I was sucked into the story and I couldn't stop reading. I had to take brakes because I had other things to do but I stayed up very late to make up on the lost time and I loved it.
The book was so interesting and new and original. The author has created a world so fascinating and the main heroine was a very strong and sweet and funny person. Her character was so well build and it was easy to slip into her mind and see the world around her as she does.
Her past is a mystery to her as well so when she was retelling her story about her past there was a part missing for all of us. It was somewhat easier to connect to Darci because I got to find out bits and peaces about her along with her. I felt better for not knowing the whole story from the beginning because she didn't know it either.
Darci Jonson is been through enough. She was five when she was left in front of a fire station in Chicago without any memories of who she is and where she's from or who and where her parents are... From there she jumped form one foster home to another and it was never easy because for some unknown reason the families always got rid of her.. She wasn't a trouble maker but things never worked out until she found herself in the small town Lakebrook, near Chicago with a foster mom named Marsha. That's when we first met Darcie. On her first day of school in the same place for a second year, which was unheard of for her. She was happy because she had friends and she had Marsha and she felt at home... Of course as fate should have it, things went south from there.
The new boy at school had a secret agenda and his plans for the school year didn't involve getting high grades so he could apply to college.
It was this boy, Conn, that turned Darcie's world upside down and into another dimension.
I think this is enough to get you guys hooked so I won't go on about what else happened but believe me, a lot did. So many twist and unexpected turns in this book, and it was like I was glued to the screen and I couldn't stop reading.
The book is incredible! I really, truly love it because it was so interesting and it was so easy and fun to read. I don't dwell on the flaws and quite frankly I didn't look for them. Some people may not enjoy it and look fro it's flaws which I'm sure the book has but I was determined to read it and I was pulled into Darcie's world pretty easily.
And the only thing that bugged me was that after we learned Darcie's real name, which was Skylark and in my opinion is hundred times better than Darcie, she didn't use it. I really liked the sound of her birth name and her nickname 'Lark'. It was so unusual and pretty. Too bad it wasn't used more often in the book.
I want to thank NetGalley for providing me with a e-ARC of the book. I truly enjoyed it!

 I give it:


See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment