Monday, October 8, 2012

YA Review: Speechless by Hannah Harrington

The book is suitable for Mature YA readers!

Goodread summary:
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.




I absolutely love this one and I'm really happy NetGalley provided me with a review copy. The book is more for a YA Mature crowd because it addresses some pretty serious issues in high schools all around the world and that is the hatred towards gays/lesbians/anyone different really...
I loved it so much because it was beautifully written. The story was accurate, thoughtful, inspiring too.
Okay, so here's a little bit more about the story. It all started with a little intro to Chelsea Knot's everyday life and social status and then came the New Year's annual party. The night everything changed, seeming for the worst but fate has a funny way of screwing up your life before it gets better.
One decision and Chelsea is the school's pariah, the girl who outed Noah Beckett, which resulted in him being beaten half to death.
And just like that she lost her "friend", she felt guilt for what happened to Noah and she started to realize that she had to make changes.
When she stopped talking, I was amazed by it because I know I can't do something like that and I was awed by her determination not to speck. She held herself together, put up with the bullying, harassment, the whispers and the staring and she fought through it all alone at first and then with the help of the most unexpected people, Noah's friends...
It was really sweet to read those moments when the relationships between certain characters were developing. I saw Chelsea change into a more honest and reliable person. She was better than before and she was changing for the better. She had to face the repercussions of her actions and the mess they left behind...
The novel has a very deep meaning and I hope a lot of people read it and maybe make a change in their lives. (It's kind of pointless because the 'cool' kids are always going to be at the top of the high school food-chain but it's nice to hope that there is justice for all the crap they pull). Kids these days are unbelievably cruel and I've witnessed it firsthand and it's not pretty...
I was happy with the way things turned out in the book. I was a happy ending but it was an earned one and it was believable.
It's a definite must read to YA fans and not only. The book really addresses some very important issues and it's a really interesting read.

 I give it:


You can find the book on Goodreads

You can purchase the book from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

or

or

Barnes & Noble.
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

Here are the other cover I found:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,
The links for the purchase to Amazon and The Book Depository are linked the my affiliate accounts and I will receive a small amount of money, which I plan to use for future giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment