Friday, December 21, 2012

Adult Review: Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

This book is suitable for Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary: 
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.



You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


Oh, this book...
The first time I read it I fell in love with the characters and I started reading the next one right away... I loved the story. It was new, original, exciting.
So, this is a story about these vampires... But there are two kinds of vampires. Those how live a normal life (in the dark) and those how fight. This story is about the fighters and their personal stories about their life.
It Dark Lover we met the King of the vampires, Wrath and his beloved shellan Beth.
Wrath is the last living vampire of his royal family and he is the King of the vampires and the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. He is also in denial, because he doesn't want to take his place on the throne and deal with all these problems everyone will have... But he is a fighter, a warrior and he lives his life out on the streets at night, killing lessers, soulless humans that have sold theirs souls to the Devil equivalent in the book, and that prey on the civilian vampires.
He is not made to sit behind a desk and deal with paperwork, he is born leader and a fighter.
I loved to read about him because he holds a lot of secrets in his mind. His story was pretty interesting and I loved just that, to read about his past.
Then there's Beth. She is a half-breed or at lest she was, until her transformation was successfully completed. Her father, Darius, was one of the warriors from the brotherhood but he died before she was introduced into the world of vampires... And before marrying Wrath she was a journalist, a criminal journalist and a fairly good one at that. She had a not so exciting life but it worked for her. And all that changed one night, when Wrath showed up at her apartment.

In the book the P.O.V's changed from one character to the other and that allowed us to witness both vampires' lives. We got to see how Beth was before and after her transformation into a vampire and we also got to see how Wrath was behaving on the field and with his shellan.
The relationship between the two started quite fast for me, but it was expected because Beth's entire believe system was shattered and Wrath became the only stable part in her life. She started to trust him and there was an undeniable attraction between them, and then there was the sex.. So, yeah, it was fast and furious but sweet in it's own way.
It was a very interesting story to read, it sucked me in right away and I read the entire book very fast. And I loved it.
I know I give almost every book a 5 star review and I think I gave the entire series 5 star reviews but that's because I don't read books that are not interesting for me. This one had me hooked from the first page and I was on a roll with the books because I read every singe one that was released in my country in the matter of two-three weeks (thank God for libraries!) and I couldn't and didn't want to stop.
It was a very compelling, steamy and sexy read and I really enjoyed reading the book!

 I give it:

Here are the other covers I found:

The second cover is the one from my country.

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment