Monday, December 10, 2012

YA Review: Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary: 
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Delirium leaves the readers with lingering feelings of both sadness and hope; it will stay with them long after the last page is turned. Up-To-Date Reviewing 



You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


Wow... what do I say about this book...
I saw the book a long time ago. Maybe right after it got out but I couldn't buy it at the moment so I forgot about it. I had seen it now and then on the blogs I follow but never got around to read it until three weeks ago when I found it in the library.
I had just finished reading Before I fall so I was excited to see what else Lauren Oliver had in stores for her readers in this book... Now I'm happy I picked it up.
Now the book wasn't something unforgettable or mind blowing but it was interesting and definitely good.
I was skeptical about it in the beginning because it was kind of slow at first but it is first book in a trilogy so the story needed some time to make sense. Once we got to know the characters a little better, everything came to place and the good part of the book started..
In the book Lauren Oliver has created a dystopian world where love is a disease. And there is a cure for it. Only problem is, not everyone wants to stop feeling.
At fist look, it all makes sense... without love there's no hate or fighting or pain, but in truth, without love there's no emotion. The world in witch Lena (Magdalena) had to live it was full of emotionless humans waling around not really caring for anything and anyone.. It was a scary thing to see a mother not care for her child, to see teens separated into groups of girls and boys and not be allowed to communicate with each other for longer than the time to say 'Hello' or 'Sorry'... It was a scary thing to see a world without love...
Lena's used to it. She knows the rules and she follows them. She is actually waiting for the day her procedure will come, for the day she'll be cured and she wouldn't have to worry if she's going to get infected or not...
But even when she believed that love was a curse, a disease, you could see the cracks in her perfect behavior. She has learned to hide in plain sight, she has learned to keep her emotions for herself and not say everything she thinks. And on some deep level Lena knows she's different from everyone else.
The memories she has of her mother are kept a secret because the things they did together were forbidden. Her mother's affection for Lena and her sister were not normal for a cured person... so she never speaks of any of it...
She lives the live she has to until the day of her hearing... The day she was evaluated for her future life... The day she first saw Alex...
Oh.. here is where I stop with my review because Alex is the most juicy part of the book. He is the reason everything change, he is the reason Lena opened her eyes to the world around her... I just wish it all ended differently.
I'm sad about the ending but I'm excited to see what happens next. I'm really looking forward to reading Pandemonium and I can't wait to see what obstacles Lena would have to face.
The book is really good and it was written beautifully. There are some moments that could have been better but overall the book was a pretty great read.

 I give it:

Here are the other covers I found:
The second cover is the one from my country.

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book and its sequel! Count them among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete