Monday, December 17, 2012

YA Review: Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary: 
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.



You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


I recently got the book from the library and I started it right away. I was done after two days and that's only because I had school and that kind of stopped me from reading.
I really enjoyed the book even though it had it's weak moments.
I was genuinely surprised that I like the book as much as I did. When I first picked it up I wasn't sure if I'm going to like it but I gave it a try and it was really interesting. I haven't read books about angels so it was definitely something new and different for me and I really enjoyed reading it.
So, as I said, the books is about angels and to be exact it's about fallen angels. Now don't ask me what's the story behind that term in this book because it wasn't explained at all... For the most part of the book we didn't even know about angels and we didn't know which of the characters and what exactly they were, though it was impossible not to have your suspicions...
The story is told from Luce's (Lucinda Price) point of view and she was in the dark for pretty much everything that was happening around her. She didn't know why she was drawn to Daniel and she didn't know why she couldn't resist the pull. It was like she was obsessed with him and believe me, he didn't encourage her to like him either. He was kind of an ass for the most part but as we find out later, he had his reasons...But as time passed he changed and he'd say the sweetest things...
“I do all of these things," Daniel said, leaning into her so that their foreheads touched, "because you're my love, Lucinda. For me, you're all there is.”
Anyway, Luce didn't know anything about her own history, about Daniel, about Cam... as it turns out the only thing she did know was that she was seeing these dark shadows but she didn't even know enough about them.
One of the things in the book that bugged me was precisely that, that for about 2/3 of the book I had to guess what was really going on and that got on my nerves sometimes but the book was pretty fast paced so we didn't have to wait all that long for the answers.
And even when we go one answer the information wasn't enough and it was only half truths because apparently Luce can't handle more or she'll die...
“I get to live forever," he repeated. Luce was still lost, but he kept talking, a stream of words pouring out of his mouth. "I get to live, and to watch babies being born, and grow up, and fall in love. I watch them have babies of their own and grow old. I watch them die. I am condemned, Luce, to watch it all over again and again. Everyone but you." His eyes were glassy. His voice dropped to a whisper. "You don't get to fall in love--"
"But...," she whispered back. "I've...fallen in love.”

Yeah, it was pretty confusing book at times but it was interesting and I finished it pretty quick. I'm about to start book two and hopefully that one will hold more answers and more background story but we'll see.

 I give it:

No other book covers. Even the cover in my country is the same.
See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

1 comment:

  1. I was also not sure about this book either, like you I had also guessed what was going on pretty early.

    ReplyDelete