Monday, December 31, 2012

YA Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary:
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads.


Sorry but my review contains spoilers!

I never imagined I could like a book so much when I only begin reading it yesterday right before I went to bed. It was so good and I couldn't stop reading until I realized that I was going to fall asleep right there with my eyes glued to the book.
I just loved it so much. It was pretty short for my standards and it was very simple really but it was truly beautiful. No supernatural creatures, no drama, just a story about two people that meet at the airport and how much a seven hours flight can change your perspective.

“Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?”
Hadley had a great life, living in Connecticut with her parents and everything was okay until her dad left for four months to work as a literature professor at Oxford. Now a year and a few months later she is about to fly out to London for her Dad's wedding and she's not exactly happy about it
.
It's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity.

Hadley's character was really hurt and she was trying to push through the pain so she could attend a ceremony she didn't even want to be a part of and the way the author has written the book, I literally felt her pain. She was confused by everything that was happening and neither one of her parents could really help her through the hart times because her Mom was trying to completely move on but she didn't want to ruin the relationship between Hadley and her father, and as for Hadley's dad, he was living in London with his fiance and no matter how much they talked on the phone, he couldn't heal the wound in Hadley's heart.
So there she is in the beginning of the book, struggling to catch her flight(missing it by four minutes) to find herself stuck at the airport waiting for a later flight. There, in the waiting area she first met Oliver and ... I don't know, I guess the stars aligned and they were done for.
Oliver was a big mystery. The book was from Hadley's P.O.V and we had all the facts about her life and she was in the mood to share, but Oliver was keeping his thoughts a secret and there was just very little information about him.
He would joke and he would grin at her with his incredibly cute smile and he would talk and talk and talk about nothing or everything and all through the book he would set his focus on Hadley and she forgot to dwell on the fact that she was high up in the air, closed in a metal tube(she is claustrophobic) with no escape and that she was on her way to a wedding that she didn't want to happen at all.. He helped her like her parents couldn't. He listened to her story and he shared little of his and it was comfortable and sweet and it was like their little safe place.
And then when they had to separate at the airport at London, Hadley felt like she'll never see him again but she also wouldn't forget him... but faith has other plans!

“I can't believe you're here," she says, her voice soft. "I can't believe you found me."
"You found me first,"

I told you a lot now and I probably shouldn't have, but there's still so much that happened, so much to read... The book really was amazing and I loved every part of it. I wish I could read what happens to Hadley and Oliver after the ending of the book. It wont be a good idea for a second book but I was just that good that I don't want it to end.
 I give it:

Here are some of the other covers I found:

The second cover is the one from my country.

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

2 comments:

  1. Your review totally made me wanna read the book! Oliver sounds handsomely sweet :) BTW, I haven't seen the other covers, so thanks for including them in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I couldn't believe just how much I loved it. The book is truly remarkable.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete