Monday, January 14, 2013

YA Review: Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Read for TBR Challenge!  
Goodread summary:
Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?



You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


I had read the first to book a while back and I enjoyed them quite a lot. Having said that, it has been some time that I haven't read anything about Sophie and company and it took me a while to get back into the story. I had to remember some things because in the beginning everything was a blur.
But once I caught up with the story everything came to place and I remembered why I loved the first two books so much.
In this book Sophie had to face her enemies in one last fight and that fight would determine the rest of her life.

“People are so rarely villains in their own minds.”

In the very beginning of the book Sophie woke up in the middle of the woods, disoriented, feeling lost, scared.. The ending of book two was a cliff-hanger so the events of last night were fresh in Sophie's mind and all she could think about was her father, Archer and Cal. But nothing was as it seemed.
She soon realized that she's been gone for far too long and everything was more messy that she thought.
In this book Sophie got some answers, even to questions she didn't figure to ask. And she faced everything life threw at her with a snarky personality and a brave face.
There were a lot of challenges ahead of her and she was pretty awesome all the way!

I love the way she fell into her routines with her friends. Even when things were a little awkward Sophie and her friends would find something to laugh about. And Archer was very sweet and always helped the matter!

“Archer turned back to me, and that familiar grin flashed over his face. “Come on, Mercer. Me, you, the cellar. What could go wrong?”

I'm not a huge fans of love triangles because the girl always looks bad when she's juggling between two boys. Things always get messy and someone ends up hurt or dead(as it is in most fantasy books)...I didn't like the triangle here either.
I liked both Archer and Cal but I didn't like Sophie stringing Cal along when she was clearly in love with Archer... That the reason I was a little pissed off at her.

“Trust me, after the Boy Issues I’ve had, I’m becoming a nun.”

Other than that, though, she was a great character. She was brave and she fought for everything she holds dear and she was willing to lose her life to save those she loves. I admire her for that!

“Okay, fine. But just so you know, following me into hell means you’re all definitely the sidekicks.”

I really enjoyed reading this one. And I don't feel awful because it's over, I actually felt that the story had a great ending and I loved it. It felt complete and finished...

 I give it:
Here is the cover in my country:
See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

1 comment: