Monday, January 28, 2013

YA Review: Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Scheidt

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
E-ARC provided by NetGalley!!!
Read for TBR Challenge!  
Goodread summary:
Anna remembers a time before boys, when she was little and everything made sense. When she and her mom were a family, just the two of them against the world. But now her mom is gone most of the time, chasing the next marriage, bringing home the next stepfather. Anna is left on her own—until she discovers that she can make boys her family. From Desmond to Joey, Todd to Sam, Anna learns that if you give boys what they want, you can get what you need. But the price is high—the other kids make fun of her; the girls call her a slut. Anna's new friend, Toy, seems to have found a way around the loneliness, but Toy has her own secrets that even Anna can't know.

Then comes Sam. When Anna actually meets a boy who is more than just useful, whose family eats dinner together, laughs, and tells stories, the truth about love becomes clear. And she finally learns how it feels to have something to lose—and something to offer. Real, shocking, uplifting, and stunningly lyrical,  Uses for Boys  is a story of breaking down and growing up.

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


IT'S A 1.5 RATING...

When I first saw the book I loved the summary and I was really excited to read it. Then I got an e-ARC from NetGalley and I was so happy. And that's when my happiness ended.
While the story was very interesting and I really wanted to read what happens I just can't stop thinking about how much I hated the way it was written. I guess I like more conversations and something was just missing. I'm not an expert and I don't know what this type of writing is called but I really didn't like it and that just made it that much harder to read the entire thing.

I can't say that the story was bad, though. It was a very heavy story, no hearts and flowers and stuff like that.
Looking at the cover and reading the summary for the first time, I imagined a book about a girl with a tough life that finds happiness, then deals with some more bad stuff and then the happy end comes...
The only part that I got right was about the girl with a tough life. Anna is not your typical teenager. She is a girl raise only by her mother, and even then, her mom was mostly away and being a mom just wasn't enough for her anymore. So Anna raise herself and she did it the worst way possible.
There was no one to tell her not to do things, there was no one to keep her form making mistakes involving boy, she became sexually active way too early and she never had a proper relationship with anyone(not a family member-they were always changing with her mom's latest boyfriend- not a best friend, not even one of her own boyfriends). She was so alone for so long that she threw herself in a life she didn't deserve. She started letting boys use her, until she learned to use then and even then she felt alone.. It was a sad story, one that made me feel bad even though I was distracted by the way the book was written..

I understand the seriousness of the book and of the story it tells. It's definitely something that happens and I really wish it didn't. It was a hard book to read because of the how messed up Anna's life was too, not only because of the writing...

That was pretty much how it went almost the entire book. It was a sad story about a girl's awful life on here own, having to go through some pretty messed up situations but it's also a story that shows us that it can get better. That it's never over to try and fix things..

 I give it:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sorry that you didn't like it Marti. It sounds really good, and all the reviews that I've read have been complimentary, but I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes books are just hard to get into. Fab review, Marti! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan, I have to say that I did like the story but I didn't like the way it was written. And it definitely was though read... You should read it for yourself though. Give it a try and you might end up liking it!

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't care for this; it's almost ready for me to pick up at the library. I was totally thinking it was a lighthearted, cute read. But I'm hearing from you and other people that it's actually really heavy. Thanks for the honest opinion, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a heavy read and I believe I would have absolutely loved it if only it wasn't written the way it was.. The writing was what stopped me from giving the book a higher rating... The story was quite interesting!

      Delete