Friday, February 22, 2013

Adult review: Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

This book is suitable for Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary:
Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the kind of guy she's been waiting for all her life.

But Bill has a disability of his own: He's a vampire. Worse than that, hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind.

And when one of Sookie's colleagues is killed, she begins to fear she'll be next ...

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


I'm really behind on this series and just a few weeks ago I decided to read the first book. I was not impressed.
I love the TV series, I love the story there and the characters and I didn't really expect that it's going to be all the same. It was clear to me that the differences in the story are going to be huge but I didn't expect that the characters are going to be so different.

“The world seemed a bad and terrible place, all its denizens suspect, and I the lamb wandering through the valley of death with a bell around my neck.”

For those who have seen the show, you know how the story goes pretty much. The first book we got introduced to Sookie and her life and it's just like that first episode. It was good and I was really looking forward to reading what happens next. But at some point I just lost interest.
Sookie was kind of annoying. And the worst part is that I didn't know why I felt like that for her.

Bill came along and both their lives changed after that. They fell in love hard but I didn't feel it. There was chemistry and they kept working out their problems but it felt kind of forced.

“Life had sure been simpler when I hadn't dated.”

I just can't explain it. It was good, I know it was because I wouldn't have picked up the second book but I just can't access the memories of the good parts. I keep remembering little things about Sookies behavior and that just distracts me.

I like reading the first book. It was good enough to get me to read book two but I wasn't all that excited. I know that the series has a huge fan base and it probably get's better as it goes along, I just don't think I should read any more of it at this point.
So don't really count my review all that much. I just didn't fall in love with the book and that shouldn't be a reason for you guys not to read it!

 I give it:
Here are the other covers I found:

The second cover is the one from my country.

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment