Monday, February 11, 2013

DELIRIUM Read-a-Long DISCUSSION Post #1 [Chapters 1-7]


It's February and it's time to read Delirium. I already read the book but I love read-a-longs so I decided to join!

I'm a little late with this post  but here are last weeks questions:


  1. What is your first impression of the world building in Delirium?
     - When I first read the book I was simply fascinated by the world the author has created. It was original and interesting and so unexpected. I loved it!
     
  2. In Delirium, love has been classified as a disease. Do you think that, in some ways, love could be considered a disease? Why or why not?
    -When you get your heart broken you could consider love to be a disease but when you are in love things aren't black and white anymore. I haven't been in love and I haven't had my heart broken so for me it's still a pretty fairy tale I'm looking forward to. But love is important and disease or not, it should exist! 
  3. The government's rules are very strict - upon turning 18 everyone has to undergo a procedure that will "cure" them of love once and for all. Could you live in a world without love? 
    - No. I don't see myself in such a world. How can I now love my parents, my siblings... my friends. I just don't see it and that was one of the reasons I liked this book so much, it showed us a world without love and it's a reminder of what we have.
  4. Count how many times you say or hear the word love in one day (you can also guesstimate). How many times would you have been punished if you lived in the world Delirium is set in?
    -I use the word 'love' quite a lot! I just can't stop myself and I shouldn't. If I lived in a world like the one in Delirium, I'll probably end up like Lena's mom (okay that's tricky for those who haven't read the entire book...).
  5. What do you make of Alex? Lena notes that he has the scar of being cured, but he still appears to be flirting with her. He also works as a security guard at the lab in which there was a breach and all the cows were herded in on evaluation day. 
    - Oh Alex, he is the character you fall in love with. He is this charismatic person who just gets under your skin and I liked him from the beginning! I LOVE him!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Delirium yet but reading your answers help me see how awesome this story is. Thank you so much for sharing, Martina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help Henrietta. The book is really good! You should read it!

      Delete