Monday, February 4, 2013

YA Review: Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Read for TBR Challenge!  
Goodread summary:
#1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole introduces The Arcana Chronicles, post-apocalyptic tales filled with riveting action, the dark mysticism of Tarot cards, and breathtaking romance.

She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can’t do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side…

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


OMG I have no idea how I managed not to review this book right after whey I read it but I did and now I'm going to give it my best to bring back my feelings of the book.
I really enjoyed reading it. It was so new and interesting and I absolutely loved the main characters.

Come, touch . . . but you’ll pay a price.

The book starts as your normal 'rich, good girl meets poor, bad boy'. Live is destined to get messy because these are very strong and stubborn characters. But you never imagine just how messy it'll get.

The beginning of the book showed us the 'Before' period where everything was pretty normal, well, as normal as it could be for a girl that sees the future.
Evie didn't know it at the time but those visions she had weren't just scary images her sick mind was conjuring out of nowhere. They were actually pictures, moments that are to come, and soon...

A big part of her life is a mystery, a blank in her memory, so that was her primary focus most of the time, well that and the new Cajun kids that just started visiting her high school, especially the very hot Cajun boy that keeps messing with her.
So anyway... As you can imagine, Evie wasn't all too concerned about those images she kept seeing, apart from the fact that they made her look crazy, because she zones out when she has one. She never thought that those horrific scenes were her own future. So it was somewhat of a shock when the apocalypse came and killed off the better part of the human population along with everything living like grass, trees, animals.. Everything that was directly under the sunlight turned to ashes.

That is when the real struggle began for Evie and Jack. Everything it different now...
Evie was about to set off in search of her grandmother but she couldn't very well do it all alone so that's when Jack reappeared in her life.

Their relationship was rocky even before the end of the world but now it's not safe to trust anyone but could she trust him?

I was truly surprised by this book. It was filled with very unexpected moments and it was so addictive. I couldn't get myself to stop reading it. I loved the was it was written ( I recently found out just how much that matters to me), and the story was very clever. The characters were amazing and they had such a chemistry between them.

“If you touch me like that again, Evangeline,” he began in a husky tone, dropping to his seat once more, “in the space of a heartbeat, I will have you off this bike and onto the closest horizontal surface. And I woan be picky, no.”

It was a love story buried deep in the ruins of our world and it was amazing.
The concept of the book the whole idea was very anything like it and I was truly fascinated by it and the creatures in it.

I enjoyed the conversations and the fights Evie and Jack always have. Whenever they were together there was this undeniable attraction that was so strong and it was very entertaining. And then there were these incredibly serious moments that can just break your heart.

"So you stay the hell alive! You don't do like Clotile, you doan take that way out. You and me can get through anything, just give me a chance."--his voice broke lower "just give me a chance to get to you." He buried his face in my hair, inhaling deeply. "There is nothing that can happen to you that we can't get past."

I loved the pace in which the book progressed and I loved it how in the end when the mystery from the very beginning of the book was solved it left us with more questions about the future of the story, rather than answers to the questions we already had.

“Remember my titles? I don't get poisoned, I do the poisoning. I'm the Princess of it”

It was a fantastic book and I'm so excited about book two. I really can't wait to see and read what happens next.

 I give it:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this! I think it's freakin' awesome too. I can't wait for the second book! Excellent review, you have just made me want to reread the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amber... You know, I kind of made myself re-read it too, especially when I was adding the quotes.. All those good memories coming back. I just can't wait for book two..

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read Cole's adult books too, but wasn't sure if I'll like it. Maybe I'll try reading this one before picking the others.

    Great review!

    Irene (Paydirt)

    ReplyDelete