Monday, March 4, 2013

YA Review: The S-word by Chelsea Pitcher

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary:
First it was SLUT scribbled all over Lizzie Hart’s locker.

But one week after Lizzie kills herself, SUICIDE SLUT replaces it—in Lizzie's looping scrawl.


Lizzie’s reputation is destroyed when she's caught in bed with her best friend’s boyfriend on prom night. With the whole school turned against her, and Angie not speaking to her, Lizzie takes her own life. But someone isn’t letting her go quietly. As graffiti and photocopies of Lizzie’s diary plaster the school, Angie begins a relentless investigation into who, exactly, made Lizzie feel she didn’t deserve to keep living. And while she claims she simply wants to punish Lizzie’s tormentors, Angie's own anguish over abandoning her best friend will drive her deep into the dark, twisted side of Verity High—and she might not be able to pull herself back out.

Debut author Chelsea Pitcher daringly depicts the harsh reality of modern high schools, where one bad decision can ruin a reputation, and one cruel word can ruin a life. Angie’s quest for the truth behind Lizzie’s suicide is addictive and thrilling, and her razor-sharp wit and fierce sleuthing skills makes her impossible not to root for—even when it becomes clear that both avenging Lizzie and avoiding self-destruction might not be possible.

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


You know that things like this are happening. To your friends, to someone at your school, to your kids even, or to complete strangers but you know that someone somewhere is bullied. This is the problem Chelsea Pitcher has based her book one and I don't know what inspired her to write it but I have only good things to say about her work and her book.

Actually, no, I don't have words to describe the feeling this books has left me with. It was so easy to read it. It was so funny and heartbreaking at the same time. You laugh one minute at something the main heroine said and then you just want to cry when you read about the things that are happening.

As you know from the summary, this is the story of two best friends, Angelina ('Angie') and Elizabeth ('Lizzie'). The friendship that has grown for years and years was destroyed in one night and nothing was the same ever since. The night Lizzie was caught in bed with Angie's boyfriend, was the night she lost everything. Soon the entire school was against her and that lead to her suicide.

This is where we learn about the bulling. Well it was more about what it causes rather that the bulling itself... Both through Lizzie's thoughts and from Angie's observation and memories we are taken back to every moment that played significant role in the hell Lizzie was living in. We can see how one wrong decision and you can lose someone you've loved your whole life.

"And when the second scribbling of SLUT appeared on her locker, I said nothing too."

Angie was an amazing character. She is sarcastic and funny and she hides behind a mask of this cheerful person but ever since Prom night, she hasn't been the same. All her life, all she wanted was someone to trust and to love her and when her own best friend betrayed her like that she just lost a part of herself. She changed and she was so hurt and she just couldn't make the first step to repairing her friendship with Lizzie and now that Lizzie is dead things are even worse because there is the guilt for not even trying.

"I'll graduate high school with a major in Cynicism and a minor in Irritation"

But she was also manipulative. I didn't see it at first but as the story progressed you can just see it, how she pushes people to get what she need. Angie is a very complex character. Well built.
I loved reading the book mostly because it was from her P.O.V mostly because she is the kind of person who would try and joke when things got so dark and depressing that it was it hard to breath. But she was also hiding so much from us, I was truly shocked when the end came near.

The revelations became a little bit too much in the end and I was so surprised. Some things were easy to guess and when I was reading the book I though I had it all figured out. Then there was some thing that made me doubt my predictions but in the end I was blown away.

What I loved most about this book though was the pages from Lizzie's diary. It was both scary and fascinating. To read about the things that go on in high school is going to be hard for some people. I've been bullied myself but I just now realized how easy I've got it. But really, I hope this book makes people think about how they're acting at school, I hope they thing about the things they say and how easy it is to hurt people. Some kids are so fragile and one joke makes all the difference in the world to them.

I got off topic and I'm sorry about that, you just have to understand that this book is so emotional and it's impossible to keep my mind at bay...

I had an idea to mention a few little things I liked about the book but now I just thing you guys should read it and see for yourselves. The books is amazing and I can't even begin to explain how much I loved it. I hope you like it too.

 I give it:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the novel!! :)

    ReplyDelete