Friday, April 12, 2013

Adult review: Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning

This book is suitable for Adult readers!!!

Goodread summary:
I used to be your average, everyday girl but all that changed one night in Dublin when I saw my first Fae, and got dragged into a world of deadly immortals and ancient secrets. . . .

In her fight to stay alive, MacKayla must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over the worlds of both the Fae and Man. Pursued by assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she can’t trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and powerful men: V’lane, the immortal Fae Prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man as irresistible as he is dangerous.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them.

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

,
or



or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.

“Fire isn’t good or bad. It just burns.”

Book one introduced us to MacKayla 'Mac' Lane. She was just a normal southern belle that lives a charmed life with loving parent, awesome big sister and great friends. That is until the day, that hot summer day, when she was lazily lounging near the pool, when the phone rang and changed everything.


“It's a strange new world out there and the rules have changed: It's every princess for herself.”


It's been months since then. Mac is already in Ireland, Dublin to be precise and she is in so much trouble. The memory of her perfect life is juts that, a distant memory she avoids thinking about because it only causes her pain now. She is a different Mac, not like the girl who's biggest problem was whether or not her new pink nail-polish is going to match her new outfit. Now Mac is dark and not so ignorant and trusting. She learned the hard way that the world she lives in is not a happy place and with the help of Jericho Barrons she just might live through another day.

Mac is a sidhe-seer, she sees the Fae, otherworldly creatures bent on taking over our world after they finally escaped their prison in Faery. Coming in hordes through portals all over the town, the UnSeelys are just one of the things on Mac's mind at the moment though. She had the Sinsar Dubh to deal with, a book filled with the darkest magic on Earth or Faery of any of the other dimensions that exist and she is one of the very few people that can sense it. Well she passes out from the unimaginable pain she feels when she's near it but she is still a very valuable player in the game, one Jericho Barrons found and helped trained, and now uses to the full extent. Mac is his Opp's detector and he would do anything to protect her.

“What are you Barrons?”
“The one who will never let you die, and that’s more, Ms Lane, than anyone in your life has been able to say to you. More than anyone else can do”


The relationship between the two main characters is extraordinary. There is attraction between them but neither one of them is willing to admit it. They are both too focus on the mission to find the Sinsar Dubh but even in the midst of all that, they are always in each other's minds. Well no one can couch for what's on Barrons' mind because he is the most guarded character I've ever encountered but whenever Mac was in trouble, he always came to save her and in those moments, when she is hurt and nearly unconscious or barely alive he is so gentle and there's just something about the way he acts that leads me to believe she's not just a means to an end for him.

“I was about to look away when he reached across the seat, touched my jaw with his long, strong, beautiful fingers, and caressed my face.
Being touched by Jericho Barrons with kindness makes you feel like you must be the most special person in the world. It’s like walking up to the biggest, most savage lion in the jungle, lying down, placing your head it its mouth and, rather than taking your life, it licks you and purrs.”


Of course this is an ongoing relationship with it's ups and downs and I just love reading about their interactions. After months of living near each other they have learned to avoid the hard emotional stuff and they focus on what's important to keep them alive.

“His hand was on my throat, and he was crushing me back with his body into the cold steel beam behind me. "Yes, I have loved, Ms. Lane, and although it‘s none of your business, I have lost. Many things. And no, I am not like any other player in this game and I will never be like V‘lane, and I get a hard-on a great deal more often than occasionally." He leaned fully against me and I gasped.

"Sometimes it‘s over a spoiled little girl, not a woman at all. And yes, I trashed the bookstore when I couldn't find you. You‘ll have to choose a new bedroom, too. And I‘m sorry your pretty little world got all screwed up, but everybody‘s does, and you go on. It‘s how you go on that defines you." His hand relaxed on my throat. "And I am going to tattoo you, Ms. Lane, however and wherever I please.”


Book two was very exciting and so full of passion. So many new developments, so many new threats to consider, new artifacts and pieces from the Fae history escape the confinement of the Fae minds and we are sucked in this rich, fast paced world that is on the brink of falling apart. I loved the setting, the characters and the writing (it's incredible) and I loved the mythology. It felt complete and it was interesting and entertaining. I was at the edge of my seat with every new chapter and I am so excited about the next book. Oh the possibilities there. The end of book two was a cliff-hanger and I'm really looking forward to meeting Mac and Barrons again.

 I give it:
Here are the other covers I found:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment