Tuesday, December 31, 2013

YA Review: How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary:
A meth dealer. A prostitute. A serial killer.

Anywhere else, they’d be vermin. At the Mandel Academy, they’re called prodigies. The most exclusive school in New York City has been training young criminals for over a century. Only the most ruthless students are allowed to graduate. The rest disappear.

Flick, a teenage pickpocket, has risen to the top of his class. But then Mandel recruits a fierce new competitor who also happens to be Flick’s old flame. They’ve been told only one of them will make it out of the Mandel Academy. Will they find a way to save each other—or will the school destroy them both?

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

,
or

http://amzn.to/1dP8C1l

or

Barnes & Noble
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


I read this book a while back and I don't remember the specific feelings I got while I was reading it but I had a good impression and I really like the story.
It was most definitely not something I read every day so it was pretty original and it was very interesting.
It kept me at the edge of my seat. It was really well written and it was everything it should be.

“You’re never ready for the truth. No matter how much you think you know, it always takes you by surprise.”

The story is about a teenage pickpocket named Flick, that lives on the streets until the day a man comes up to him and offers him a job but it turns out to be a whole lot more... The job was a test and Flick passed it with flying colors which earned him a spot at the Mandel Academy.

But what school excepts a student based on his burglary skills? Well it's nothing I've ever seen before...

“Gwendolyn and I have a beautiful relationship. She tells me everything. I haven't killed her yet.”

In the Mandel Academy there's no classes like Math or Literature but there are classes like "How to name a Market Street Drugs", "Partnering with Corrupt Regimes" or "Crime Scene Cleaning & Bio-Waste Removal" and quite a few more useful subjects if you want to prosper as a criminal (or a Politician).

“What takes more guts? To fight for your own life at any cost—or prove that you're willing to lose it?”

Kirsten Miller definitely has created and intriguing and interesting world that is unique and awesome... I've never seen anything like it and I had a lot of fun reading the book. It was amazing... I loved Flick because he was strong and smart. He was thrown into this place where you're supposed to get a second chance but in reality the Principle is gathering a pack of Wolves, highly skilled phsychopaths that are under his control.. And Flick was smart enough to realize what was going on and take on the task of destroying that place.

As per usual, there was a surprise for him, a bad one that he had to overcome but eventually everything worked out the way it was supposed to.

I really liked the story and the characters were unique... I had a very good time reading it and ... well I'm a fan.

 I give it:

See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment