Friday, February 21, 2014

NA Review: Real (Real #1) by Katy Evans

This book is suitable for New Adult readers!!!
Goodread summary:
A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.

He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .

But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.

I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.

If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

,
or

http://amzn.to/1frhcUW
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


A while ago I could swear this book was everywhere because everywhere I turned, there was a review or a post about the cover or an author interview or something like that and I felt like the only one that hasn't read the book. So when I won a giveaway recently I picked Real as my prize and started reading it almost immediately. I finished it the next day and it was awesome.

“I'm so fucking in love with you I don't even know what to do with myself anymore.”

The book tells us the story of both Brooke Dumas and Remington 'Remy/Riptide' Tate. Both of them are athletes but they are very, very different.

Brooke lead a privileged life compared to what Remy had to go through but her life was in no way easy. She spent a big proportion of her life training to be professional runner and the first time she made it to the Olympics, her dreams and her leg were shattered. She was a fighter all the way but the road of recovery is never easy and she had a lot of obstacles to overcome. She is an incredibly strong character, somewhat physically but mostly mentally. She has very strong values and she would do anything for her family and friends and that gets tested in the book so she shows us just how far she'd go to help someone she loves.

“He stands watching me, motionless in those drawstring pants, his legs braced in a fighting stance, his eyes bursting with need. His broad shoulders jerk with his breaths, and he curls his fingers into fists at his sides. The deep roughness of his voice scrapes my flesh. "Come here then.”

Now Remy is gorgeous, amazing, well ripped, raw and very, very real. His childhood has been a huge mess and he doesn't trust people easily but he too would go through hell for those he loves. His adult life isn't much better because he has to fight a personal battle with himself every day, and that's besides the fights he has on the ring every so often. After he was kicked out of the Boxing league (not sure that's what it's called so sorry if I got this wrong) he started fighting in underground fights that are so very profitable and let him maul over everyone that gets in his way. He always wins the fights on the stage but off of it he loses control and thing go to hell fast.

These two are opposites in so many ways but they fit perfectly. What I loved about this book is that even though the attraction was there, visible to EVERYONE, the characters didn't jump each other right away. They started working together and Brooke was always reminding herself that Remy is a client, her boss and she really shouldn't think the thoughts that are always in her head when he's around; that she shouldn't feel the way she does, when their skin touches; but at some point all that became pointless. The author explored the animal side of both characters so at one point we realized that both of them had put claims on the other even if they won't admit it to each other.

“You tie me up in knots. I want to play you a thousand different songs so you can get a clue of what... I feel inside me...”

The book is so emotional and raw and it was amazing how easily I fell in love with the story. It's easy to feel for the characters and to get so invested in their happiness. I was hooked from page one and I had a really hard time letting go of the characters. I couldn't make myself stop reading and when I finally went to bed I couldn't stop thinking about what might happen next. I almost started reading again..

So now, after I took some time to stop the crazy thought in my head, I can patiently wait for book two. I'm really excited to see what happens next because even if the end of book one felt complete, I'm really looking forward to reading about the next chapter of Brooke and Remy's life.
 I give it:


See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment