Friday, February 7, 2014

YA Review: Just One Day (Just One Day #1) by Gayle Forman

This book is suitable for Young Adult readers!!!

Goodread summary:
A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay
When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!

You can find the book on Goodreads
And you can purchase it from:

,
or

http://amzn.to/1gJ86Z9
And you should check out the author on Goodreads and her website.


OH. MY. GOD.
This book is incredible! It REALLY is!
I never new how good it was because I hadn't even read any reviews but I wanted to read it anyway and I'm so happy I did. This books is amazing. Seriously!
Contemporary story about a girl who leads a pretty normal life until she graduates from high school and goes on a Europe tour with her best friend.

“Or maybe it's not a miracle. Maybe this is just life. When you open yourself up to it. When you put yourself in the path of it. When you say yes.”

I kind of imagined that the book will actually describe just one day of her life but I was so wrong. The one that is the most important day of her life. It's a day that changes her forever and she becomes this entirely different person.
This is a story that tells us just how important a single decision can be in a person's life.

For one day Allyson became Lulu. And in that Day she was everything she wanted to be but was afraid of. She embarked on a journey to Paris with a boy she didn't know, to end up having the time of her life. Her happiness in that one day was so contagious that I found myself smiling and laughing along with her. But as fate should have it, the day was over, the night flew by and she found herself alone in Paris with only her memories of Willem and their time together.

“It's funny the things you think you're scared of until they're upon you, and then you're not.”

The year after that day the happiness disappeared from Allyson's life. She wasn't the same because always something was missing and that affected her everyday life... I'll stop telling you what happens in the story because I don't want to ruin your fun but I want to say what I liked in the book.

I just loved the feel of it. This is a story that shows you how wonderful life can be if only you let your guard down, long enough for something amazing to happen. Willem called it 'accident' but it's destiny. You can't control it, you can't change it. You can only let yourself be swept away and you can have the time of your life. It's not always great and you can't avoid the not so great moments but it's worth it.

“He showed me how to get lost, and then I showed myself how to get found.”

Also I loved the way the book was written. I don't usually let go but reading this book, I wanted to be Allyson, or Lulu to be precise. I wanted that one day of happiness even though what happened afterwards wasn't so amazing.

“You forget, time doesn't exist anymore. You gave it to me.”

I am definitely reading Gayle Forman's other works because I was so impressed by this book and I can't wait to get my hands on Just One Year. The ending of book one is quite the sweet cliff-hanger so I'm really excited to see what actually happened and what comes next. INCREDIBLE READ!!!
 I give it:

Here are the other covers I found:
See the rest of my reviews here.
Until the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment